The Electron Microscopy Facility of the Vienna Biocenter Core Facilities (VBCF, Vienna, Austria) and Nexperion – Solutions for Electron Microscopy (Vienna, Austria) are jointly organising an international
Advanced Workshop on Cryo-Electron Tomography
Vienna, Austria, Europe
May 6–7, 2017: Optional Pre-Course
May 8–12, 2017: Workshop
for students, postdoctoral staff, scientists, and group leaders from academia and industry.
While the workshop is targeting an advanced audience (pre-existing knowledge in electron tomography, data processing, and/or cryo-TEM), a weekend pre-course will be offered for less experienced participants to catch-up.
Impressions from the 2015 Workshop
(Group photo: Harald Kotisch)
Content Pre-Course (Sat/Sun, May 6–7, 2017)
(Optional for experienced participants)
Content Workshop (Mon-Fri, May 8–12, 2017)
- Immersion freezing for cryo-electron tomography
- High pressure freezing and CEMOVIS
- Low-dose data collection with SerialEM
- Direct electron detectors
- Cryo-STEM tomography
- Processing of low-dose tilt series with IMOD
- Modelling and interpretation of cryo-electron tomography data
- Subtomogram averaging with PEET
Instructors and Organisers
- Dr. Thomas Heuser, Vienna Biocenter Core Facilities, Vienna, Austria
- Dr. Guenter Resch, Nexperion e.U. — Solutions for Electron Microscopy, Vienna, Austria
- Dr. Mikhail Eltsov, Buchmann Institute for Molecular Life Sciences, Goethe University Frankfurt, Germany
- Dr. Johanna Höög, University of Gothenburg, Sweden
- Dr. David Mastronarde, University of Colorado, Boulder, United States
- Dr. Reinhard Rachel, University of Regensburg, Germany
- Dr. Christiane Riedel, Veterinärmedizinische Universität Wien, Austria
- Dr. Sharon Grayer Wolf, Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot, Israel
Sponsored Guest Lectures
- Dr. Jan Giesebrecht, FEI
- Helmut Gnaegi, Diatome
- Dr. Andreas Kastenmüller, Gatan GmbH
- Dr. Emanuel Katzmann, JEOL (Germany) GmbH
- Dr. Frédéric Leroux, Leica Microsystems
- Dr. Saskia Miemitz-Oeckler, Leica Microsystems
The VBCF EM Facility at the Vienna Biocenter, where the event will be held, is one of the leading electron microscopy facilities in life sciences in Austria and perfectly equipped to hosting an advanced cryo-electron tomography workshop.
Dedicated cryo-instrumentation including an FEI Tecnai Polara Helium electron microscope with a Gatan K2 Summit Direct Electron detector and a post-column energy filter, a Leica EM GP immersion freezer, a Leica EM Cryo-CLEM system, as well as appropriate image processing capacities are available on site.
Participants and Registration
The registration for the workshop is closed as of January 31, 2017. All applicants will be informed about the status of their application within the next week.
The “Advanced Workshop on Cryo-Electron Tomography” is an event officially supported by the European Microscopy Society (EMS).
This website represents the current state of planning for this event, content and speakers are subject to change as planning progresses.